Saturday 5 November 2016

On my shelves

If you know me at all you will know I am quite a vivacious reader. I am obsessed with books to put it bluntly. I have a shelf full of my future reads and I add to it every month on payday. 

Every year I set myself a goal to read so many boos and it usually is around one a week as I know life can get in the way and I can have periods where I obsess over other things like games or tv shows. This year I knew I wanted to read some longer books so I adjusted my reading goal to 48 for the year. I'm already in the forties so I think this is doable. 

I have however read some really great books this year, some of which I wouldn't have usually gone for but either youtubers or goodreads members persuaded me with their reviews. I just wanted to have a little reflection over my favourites of this year so far.

IT - Stephen King



This absolute beast of a book is well worth the time and effort it takes to get through. I got completely and utterly absorbed into Derry, Maine and have found myself thinking of these characters time and time again since I finished it. Absolutely tremendous and I urge everyone to go grab a copy. 

The Enchanted - Rene Denfeld


I hadn't heard of this until someone mentioned it on youtube and I immediately ordered a copy on amazon. This is one of those that makes you rethink your entire outlook on the world and it turned me against the belief that capital punishment should still exist. It got right to the bones of me this one.

The end of Alice - A.M Holmes

This was everything I expected from Lolita but didn't get. Shocking, repulsive, yet beautiful and honest. It causes such conflicting feelings in the reader and for me that made it incredibly interesting. The subject matter will not suit everyone and trigger warnings for all sorts of things here. 

Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski

I am pacing myself with Bukowski's work as I know how tremendously sad I am going to be when I eventually run out of reading material. I liked this fine enough but it wasn't my favourite. I found myself havig a bit of disdain for Charles and that made me blame the book. Glad to have read it though and looking forward to the rest. 

Spinster - Kate Bolick



I really liked the premise of this book and the message it gives. I like the idea behind it and it came at the right time in my life. I needed this book right then. The author however is far from a ''Spinster'', rather she leaps from one relationship to the next but keeps longing to be alone. That part kind of bugged me but the information on the other ''Spinsters'' was worth reading it for. A great little book. 

Sunlight Pilgrims - Jenni Fagan

This was the absolute perfect autumn/winter read for me. Set in a not too distant future where global warming has melted the ice caps and winter is ravaging the planet this quick little read was just so easy to eat up. The characters were what made this so good. I loved them. Seriously. I loved the romance of it and what else can I say? I just loved it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment